Tuesday 2 November 2010

Say of the Jackal

 "I absolve you all; for I am the patron saint of mediocrity." - based on the film script: 'Amadeus'.

A change of logo this month as I begin to widen the blog's content. 
These changes have in fact been forced upon me - due to the exponential explosion in the number of blog followers to... well.. three. But it's the quality that counts; right?


The introduction of the jackal-headed deity, Anubis - the God of the Dead - is entirely coincidental with this time of  year - Halloween - this also being associated with a time of transition between life and death in Celtic traditions.


Yes - it's a time for changes: I've also adopted a new method of presenting the games using resources to be found at the Caissa website. Have a look at the nifty viewer below. I've even managed to customize and colour-co-ordinate it - boys and their toys.
If you click a specific game link then a 'pop-up' viewer will now magically appear. You can then scroll through the masterpiece till your heart's content. 


On the test page "viewer", I've posted the first four games of the tough 10-game Traxler test match which I'm playing at the moment. 
But if you find the Traxler Variations just a little too scary, then you can also use the viewer to import any pgn game you wish. I'll get round to putting it on some other pages too. Don't thank me: It's all part of my getting to grips with html or whatever it's called. 




A time of change can also be a time of sadness: On a personal note - and at the risk of pouring out my heart on the internet - this month also sees me part company with an old 'friend'. Let's just say we've played a few games of chess together in our time; you know where I'm coming from.


But how do you break up with someone when the time comes to 'move on'? Singer/songwriter, Paul Simon, advises that there must be 'Fifty ways to leave your lover': Is there really any easy way? I doubt it. 
Look - I don't want to start an 'Agony Aunt' type column here and, personally speaking; I don't  believe there is any way to stop the other party feeling abandoned, rejected or as having been 'used'. 
My advice may sound a bit harsh and hard-hearted I admit - but I say - "Get over it". Of course, I'm not suggesting  you use that exact form of words. Try to soften the blow a little....



"It’s not you – it’s me.


I'm truly am sorry it’s over; I really am. But we had some fun; didn’t we? Therefore, let’s not recriminate about different endings but instead, just remember the good times.

Recall how we met in that book store? You - a slim young thing dressed to kill – and I – just another ‘player’ looking for something new, different and exciting. Well I sure found it in you.
Oh the parties we had: Remember the ones at that “Eff-7” place? Such decadence. I hear it’s still very much a popular haunt. 
You know; I never mentioned it before now but, many times, I heard them whisper of us; ‘Here they comes again; him and that Danish ‘gambit’ of his. 
A little disdainful and two-faced perhaps for, in truth, they couldn’t get enough of us and took everything on offer. But we really slew them.
 Let's face it, there was never anything conservative in our manner; it was all in the ‘here and now’ with us. We took our chances and some risks too; never counting the cost or caring for what the future held. I don't think either of us even knew the meaning of the word 'prophylaxis'- never mind its spelling. You were bold and I was brash. We played hard and fast - but it this was all part of the games we liked to play.  

But you know – time catches up with all of us and I am older now. I really cannot do this anymore. A man of my age needs to slow down a little and consider his position a little bit more carefully. It’s just a question of …

No; please don’t put words in my mouth – I wasn’t going to say “sophistication”. Please don’t feel spurned: No one appreciates you more or knows you better than I do.  


Nor is there ‘someone else’: That Spaniard you’ve seen me with: I’ve actually known her for quite some time and it’s purely business, I assure you. I’m not looking for an ‘opening’ there as you put it. In fact she’s quite a torture when you get to know her – or so they say. I wouldn’t know. She's from a well-known family but it is only her body of work that interests me.
Look: I know it’s sad, after all this time - but I’ll always hold you in highest of esteem. You’ll be better off without me now - I'm only thinking of you. No doubt, our paths will cross again. I’ll smile when someone introduces you and, of course, feign unfamiliarity - so that only you and I will know differently.

Just promise me that you’ll never change – and I’ll promise never to forget: How could I: I’d recognize you anywhere: Your lines; your looks, that disarming openness of intent and ‘devil-may-care’ attitude that once was ‘us’. Such images will always stay with me – right here - next to my heart.

Auf Wiedersehen, Miss Goring - my 'Danish Gambit': 'Au revoir.


Featured Game:

Slay of the Jackal?
No sooner had I received last month's Jackal Attack game from Amsterdam - than in floods another: Both  were defended by my correspondent at the Dutch club, Caissa, Rob Witt. Now, Rob knows a thing or two about this opening; as do a few others at his club. If you check last month's excellent game you'll see he was somewhat unlucky to lose that one. However,this time, he made no mistake after a slip-up by his opponent in the opening when White omitted an important move. 
A still earlier game between between Christophe and Witt was also an eventful struggle in exactly the same line. On that occasion Black did not so much emerge from the opening, as survived it. All the more surprising then that White did not repeat the same line. 
Rob's annotations are always very good and he sets the scene well: How many times have I experienced the same dilemma - about to embark on what can be   expected to be something like a thirty-six move game - but not even sure what my first move should be.
Christophe, Nirav-Witt, Rob


Letters from the home front.


It's been relatively quiet on the front lines this month - that's my way of saying that I've lost a game. 
The position in the 'pop-up' below is taken from Game 4 in the Traxler match. It is evenly balanced at present at 2-2: Two draws and a win for either side. The fifth game is well under way. 
The whole of the fourth game turned out to be very interesting and [as my opponent pointed out to me], the only time the opening position had been reached before was on the 10th move of Anand - Beliavsky: Linares 1991. 
I'm not sure if Beliavsky would be overly impressed with my attempt to improve on his own continuation - but at least it made for an eventful contest.
The entire game can be played through on the 'viewer' page. It was very close to being a draw - so much so that the Gameknot computer evaluates it as having been level - just a couple of moves before resignation. One should always take computer evaluations with a pinch of salt.
White defended very well after coming under a strong middle-game attack and the difference between a draw and a loss was a matter of a hair's breadth. I felt sure my a-pawn would at least be worth a draw; but no, not quite. 
It may seem that I resigned a little early - but this is not the case: If one plays on through the possible ending [in the link below] then it will be seen that - although Black has no difficulty winning back a piece - this factor alone is just not enough. The white h-pawn must also be captured. 
The trouble is that, by the time this happens, the enemy rook has time to attack Black's remaining pawns. The white king also has time to return to the centre. After that, the bishop will prove to be no match for the rook in any ending. Close - but not close enough. Resignation was in fact the strongest move.
Zvardon-Skelton

Two queens - too many.. 
I don't like to make a habit of giving up a queen in a game; they come in useful. Recently however I've given up two by choice. The games in question are still on-going so I will make no comments. Nevertheless, both positions are interesting and can be found here and here.


T-Y-T 



Test Your Tactics solutions:

Summary. The 'Solutions' page gives the specific details.

 T-Y-T [Level 1]

Position      Key move          Minor 1           Minor 2

1               Rxd7!                Qd5                Qb4
2               Nxb4                 e3                   Rb1 
3               Rg3+                 Qh3+              Bg4+
4               b5                     [Qb8 or Qd7]     ...

         
T-Y-T [Level 2]

Position      Key move          Minor 1           Minor 2

 1               Bxg6                Bxg5               Nxc4
 2               f5                    [Rf8 or Rh6]     ...
 3               Nxe4                [Kh7                Kf7
 4               Bg5!                 Qc1                Qe2



Next month's featured open game will be one played by Fischer which also appears in 'Sixty memorable games'.


I will also be beginning the first in a series of articles on how to become a seriously mediocre player - without tears. The series will begin with the letter 'A'.





No comments:

Post a Comment